If an employee was injured on the job, he or she may be wondering just how effective the workers’ compensation laws are and how they can help them. While they can certainly hire an attorney to help with the workers’ compensation claim, each business should provide ample confidence in their workers’ compensation policy. Generally speaking, the complexity of the case, which includes the nature of the injury or illness and the actions the employer will determine whether hiring a lawyer would be worthwhile.
When Workers’ Compensation Laws Are Effective
Typically, workers’ compensation insurance handles the following without issue:
- An employee sustains a minor workplace injury that is easy to prove, such as a laceration that requires a few stitches.
- The employer acknowledges that an employee was hurt on the job.
- The employer has adequate workers’ compensation insurance coverage and has acknowledged that it applies to the employee.
- The employee was able to return to work in full capacity soon after treating the injury.
- The employee did not require extensive treatment such as emergency care, hospitalization, or ongoing rehabilitation.
- The employee did not have a pre-existing condition that affects the same area of the body that was injuries.
Employees should note when to get a workers’ compensation lawyer involved, which is generally when the employer does not seem willing to file a workers’ compensation claim. Only then should an employee contact a lawyer that can:
- Conduct a thorough investigation into the incident
- Gather evidence need to prove the employee’s injuries are legitimate
- Estimate the total recoverable damages
- Help navigate the claims process
- Handle all correspondence with the insurance adjuster
- Negotiate a fair settlement
- Protect job status
Read more about which injuries are covered by workers’ compensation.
When Accidents Happen
When an accident or injury does happen, it’s essential that you react to it in a timely manner. Gather information, take pictures of the accident scene if available, and contact your insurance agency right away. In the best-case scenario, your workers’ compensation claim will be processed in a prompt manner and you will receive adequate compensation for the injury. If necessary, your employee will need medical assistance and even rehabilitation services, depending on how severe the injury is. Keep in contact with the employee and make returning to work and seamless.
Working with a reliable commercial insurance agent can help you find the right policy that suits your business and budget. Contact the team at Northeastern Group Ltd. to get started on your tailored coverage during this challenging time. We serve New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Georgia, and Florida business owners.
Comments are closed.