Every summer, the backyard is a hub of activity for children and adults alike. Dips in the pool, hours spent on the playset, and grilling dinner in the light evenings are all summer backyard favorites. Although your own garden maybe your favorite place to be this summer, it’s important to remember there are many hazards waiting outside for you and your family.
Make Your Backyard Safer This Summer
Boundaries and supervision:
- Always supervise outdoor play. A responsible adult should keep an eye out kids playing outdoors at all times.
- Install a fence to keep pets and children away from the street.
- Lock backyard gates to keep children and pets in and intruders out.
- Never place a grill near flammables. It should be well away from the house, tree branches, and overhanging plants.
- Place the grill on flat, stable ground.
- Keep pets and children away from the grill at all times.
- Always have a responsible adult watching the grill just in case.
- Use long-handled utensils and a long-armed oven mitt when manning the grill to protect your hands.
- Never throw away hot or warm coals. Instead, soak them in cool water, place them in a noncombustible metal can, and place it on a nonflammable surface until you’re ready to throw them away.
- Fence in pools and ponds with a tall fence and a self-latching gate.
- Keep the pool area free from toys and tripping hazards.
- Store a lifebuoy and a first aid kit within each reach of the pool.
- Identify water trouble spots. Children can drown in as little as an inch of water. They should always be supervised when in or near water.
These easy tips can help to protect your home and family this summer. Want another great way to safeguard your property? Ensure you have the right homeowners insurance that suits your needs and budget. At Northeastern Group Ltd. we can tailor coverage to better protect your home and pocket. Serving New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Georgia, and Florida, contact us today.
Comments are closed.