As the cold weather approaches, it is important to take a few preventative measures to protect your home throughout the cooler months. Winterizing is generally a task that can be done relatively inexpensively, but it will make a big difference in how comfortable your home is. It could end up helping you save money on bills and help prevent claims on your homeowners insurance in Nassau County, NY. Take a look at these winterization tasks to complete.
Outdoor Winter Home Maintenance
- Clean out the gutters. Remove any debris, branches, and dirt. Ensure the downspout is directed away from the home’s foundation.
- Purchase a snow shovel and keep it inside your home or garage.
- Caulk any cracks around the outside of your windows and doors.
- Paint a fresh coat of sealing paint on your deck to protect it from winter weather. If there is any damage to the deck, take the time to repair it now.
- Move outdoor furniture inside.
- Disconnect your garden hoses and any sprinklers. Store them away for the winter and make sure the spouts are shut. Drain the water from in the pipes to prevent freezing.
- Close any vents in your home that may have been opened for the warm weather.
Interior Winter Home Maintenance
- Check the attic, walls, and basement for adequate insulation.
- Feel around electrical outlets for cold air. Add insulation where necessary.
- Look around doors and windows for gaps and potential places where warm air can escape.
- Caulk or apply weatherstripping around problem draft areas.
- Insulate pipes that run through the attic and other non-heated areas.
- Switch the direction of your ceiling fans to turn anti-clockwise to push the warm hair back down into the room.
- Replace the filter in your furnace.
- Get your heavy blankets and winter sheets out of storage.
- Change the batteries on your smoke and carbon monoxide detector.
- Set up a digital thermostat that automatically reduces the heat when you’re out of the house and warms it back up when you get home.
Winterizing your home is essential for a cozy house throughout the cooler months. While you’re at it, protect your property with the right homeowners’ insurance. At Northeastern Group Ltd., we work with homeowners in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Georgia, and Florida to find the right coverage that suits their needs and property. Contact us today to get started.
Comments are closed.